15 May 2012

What happens when graduate school ends?

True, I thought my procrastination during grad school was particularly bad.
But I had not yet experienced procrastination from real life.

So begins my new life transition into adulthood. A transition, I expect, will be quite long.

Yesterday I spent my morning watching  Bette Midler: The Showgirl Must Go On while drinking coffee and exclaiming to Wes how I did not anticipate Bette to be so sassy and agile.

I spent the next hour having a somewhat of an emotional interaction with a wasp.
You see, this wasp, Mortimer, got into my room and the little man (although quite large in wasp size)  was just crawling calmly all over my window. So, I watched him for 30 minutes all the while urging him to crawl back outside. I did not want to upset him; but he was just so stubborn. He REFUSED to exit back out the window in which he entered despite my most proficient persuasion. I had to take action.

So, I placed a glass cup over him. Little Mortimer did not appreciate this and consequently I panicked.

I spent the next 30 minutes holding the glass cup over the glass window and watched Mortimer angrily buzz around. What was I to do. If I slipped a piece of paper over the cup surely he would sting me through the fine parchment. If I slid the cup down to the open window he would most definitely turn right back around and dive bomb my face. Finally, I managed to get a CD between the glass window and the opening of the glass cup.

The wasp was officially contained. As I took Mortimer outside to set him free, I realized that I could not do it. He had my scent. He would return for me. So now, Mortimer sits still in the glass on my porch; I imagine he is quite livid and bewildered.


After hanging out with Mortimer I was exhausted. So I made more coffee and researched wasps. Turns out although they have an expert memory when it comes to wasp faces, they do not recognize familiar human faces. Mortimer and I spent a lot of time together however, and he is quite intelligent. So for now I will leave him in the cup.

1 comment:

  1. update: Adam set him free last night. He was confused and had trouble walking. Adam made the prognisis that he would die soon - but it's okay because wasps don't live very long anyways. he would probably have died in 2 days had you not captured him.

    ReplyDelete