07 February 2010

But wait... there's more.

Check out this peculiar piece of irony: Well it’s not really irony it’s more of a confession but it is peculiar: I am a sucker for infomercials. The live demonstrations. The customer testimonials. The unique products that do anything from hang clothes at an angle to save space in your closet (Hanger Cascader), to chop vegetables with no mess (Slap Chop). Always, there is an escalation of anticipation to reveal the bargain price of the product; usually it is $19.99, quite a steal; sometimes they trick you with multiple payments. “But wait” the tv proclaims to me, “There’s more...” My attention transitions from innocent intrigue to extreme curiosity. The tv shouts out at me “not only do you get a garden tool that takes the hard work out of yard work, but if you call today you will get two Awesome Augers to blast through that hard rock or clay with ease so you can plant some shrubbery.” Two? Two for the price of one! And shrubbery? Exclamation. “Plus,” the tv entices me, “if you call in the next fifteen minutes you will get some fancy garden gloves to grip your Awesome Auger saving time, energy, money and backaches”. There is without fail a sudden necessity of the product in my life. Gets me every time.
For my 13th birthday I asked for Quick n’ Brite Cleaner. The all purpose cleaner that makes cleaning a breeze! It cleans carpets, showers, stoves, shoes, walls, clothes, and more. Truly remarkable. The failure of this cleaner to remove the crayon I drew on the wall as a demonstration of its flair was somewhat disappointing. However the fancy gloves that came with the Quick n’ Brite more than made up for its inadequacies as a cleaner. Plus, the spray bottle had five settings. Currently I have my eyes on a Mister Steamy. What got me on this one was that it gets the wrinkles out without getting the iron out. That’s got to be a time saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment